Finally - Convocation

Finally the big day arrived. Calcutta University decided to hold convocation for the Doctoral Degree Holders. I arrived post haste to Kolkata to be present at the convocation. But what a big letdown!!!

You must think that the convocation ceremony of the Oldest University in India would be gloriously managed solemn affair. Not So. In fact I have had seen better convocations in private collages. No Academic Gown, No Photographer, No laminated / or bound degree holder. 341 of the degree recipients were called on stage one by one and handed over the degree in the same manner as a pamphlet is handed over by the street level evangelist. And to top it all, the attitude was as if university was doing us a favor by inviting us to the convocation

I could not hide my disappointment as after 5 years of hard work, this was the day that would have been the culmination of all my academic efforts. But Alas, as usual, Calcutta University left a scar! A scar for a lifetime.

Oh well, that is Calcutta University for you. How I wish it would wisen up, shed the old dowager image become a world class institution. Sometimes, just sometime, dreams do come true... perhaps in my lifetime, they will... let us see

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F117 Aircraft Identification Matrix

Xavier Institute of Social Service

What does the Sorting Hat Says?